Monday, April 7, 2014

Olivia Leighton Showcase

 

 

Welcome Olivia. It’s a pleasure having you here. Thank you for having me!

All your series are characterized for being like tv series episodes. Where’d you get the idea to do a collection of short stories instead of a full-length novel? From TV shows, actually. When I started writing, I thought it would be a fun and interactive experience to have my readers let me know their thoughts on the 'episodes'. I wanted to give readers a chance to have an influence on the story or the action of their favorite characters.

How did you begin writing? Did you intend to become an author, or do you have a specific reason or reasons for writing each series?  I started writing when I was in high school, but only recently worked on publishing any of my works. When my husband and I moved to Houston at the end of 2013, we agreed that I should find a job close to our new home. When that didn't happen immediately, I started writing to pass the time... and things sorta took off from there.

What authors do you like to read? What book or books have had a strong influence on you or your writing? Oh jeez. Honestly, I read so much, I can't begin to list a favorite author. The funny thing about my reading habit is I normally read Young Adult. It's my favorite genre... yet I write paranormal romance with lots of sex. Lol

Why do you write Paranormal Romance? Tell us about your books Why paranormal romance... hmmm. I grew up in a remote part of Washington State. If you watch the scenery in the Twilight movie... that pretty much shows what it looked like where I lived. Rainy, green... magical. It's like anything can happen. I spent a lot of my childhood playing with my brother and the neighbor boys in those wet forests, imagining we were samurai, ewoks, wolf people, what-have-you. When I started writing, I thought about those times and realized I had a love for magical characters. Thicker than Blood I had intended on being a grown-up version of Twilight... but as I learned more about my characters, they took me in a totally different direction. (I listen to my characters a lot!) For Broken Alpha, I finished reading a couple of werewolf stories and was annoyed that the female characters weren't even phased by their new loves revealing they were wolves. I would have had a conniption if a man I just slept with told me or showed me he could change into a wolf! So, I wrote about someone real... someone that I would believe.

What’s more important: characters or plot? Can I say both? My characters are very important to me and I let them lead the story... but I always have the direction they need to go in mind.

Besides writing what else do you do for publishing your books? I also create the covers for the books, under a different name, of course. I was a graphic designer for 15 years before I started writing.

Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad? I do read the reviews. While I don't respond to them, they are important to me – both the good and the bad. The bad reviews can tell me what I need to work on, if enough people say the same thing. The good reviews... well, they make me feel good about the path I've chosen. They even make me laugh sometimes. :) Advice for taking the bad... everyone is entitled to their opinions. The first review I got on Truth in Legends was one star... you just have to look at the content of the review. One or two sentences with poor spelling... it makes you wonder if they even read the story. Now, if it's a poor review and they went into detail why they gave the poor review, I'm happy. Why? Because they just pointed out something I need to address in my writing.

What are you working on now? I'm working on wrapping up Broken Alpha 3 and bringing all of the series together in one book, The Broken Alpha. Trevor Collins has been my favorite hero up to this point, with Troy Priest, from Vampire and the Owl, coming in a good second.

What is your next project? Next project... I actually have a couple. Look but Don't Touch and Fighting Chance. I've posted the covers and snippets from both stories on my blog and I'm encouraging people to let me know which one they'd like to see first.

 

Writing habits? Um, I try to write at least 1,000 words a day.

Last thing you googled? Okay, don't laugh, but it was the spelling of gangly. I'm not a fantastic speller! Thank God for my spell check and editor!

Basic writing resources? Thesarus.com lol

Bookhangover or bookorgasm? Hangover. If I start a book and it's good, I will read 400 pages in one day.

The Originals or The Vampire Diaries? The Originals, totally. Vampire Diaries... Elena's getting too whiny. So is Damon.

Last idea for a book… how did it come? I think the last book idea I had was... hmm, Fighting Chance. It came through a culmination of personal experiences and my love for ice hockey.

Your favorite character of your books? Oliver Redfield (Look but Don't Touch)

Last book you bought? A Shade of Vampire 4 by Bella Forrest (A YA story about a girl and a vampire king)

Paperback or digital? Digital, although, I have a deep love for hardcover books. If I like the digital and the hardcover is available, I add it to my collection. :)

Oh it’s time to say goodbye, I really appreciate it your time. All the best with your future releases. Thank you for having me. It has been my pleasure!

   

Ex-monitor tech, former graphic designer and lover of all things food and drink, Olivia Leighton writes paranormal romances which usually contain:

1) Normal, every day women getting thrown into a world they never could have imagined.

2) Impossibly good-looking, alpha male heroes of the fanged, furry or rich variety. (Sometimes all of the above!)

3) Witty banter among family, friends and lovers.

She is a huge fan of cliff-hangers and happily-ever-afters... with the occasional dark parts thrown in.

Olivia lives in Houston with her husband, 2 dogs (yorkie and rat terrier) and two cats (grey and ginger).

You can find Olivia online at: Website | Twitter | Goodreads Author Page or join her Mailing List

 

 

1 comment:

Please leave comment or suggestion